As the nation prepares to celebrate Chocolate Week October 12-16 – the Jellyatrics have gone all Willy Wonka to bring you some tasty facts about chocolate.
And don’t forget – your favourite Jellyatrics characters are now available in chocolate form …
You can buy us by searching on Ebay or via our growing number of stockists
Did you know …..
1. Dark chocolate has more cacao (the beans that chocolate is made from) and less sugar than other chocolates, so it is considered healthier than milk and white chocolate.
2. Dark chocolate contains lots of antioxidants that help the cardiovascular system by reducing blood pressure and it is reported that eating dark chocolate widens arteries and promotes healthy blood flow that can prevent the buildup of plaque that can block arteries.
3. Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was first published in 1964 and has since been adapted into two major films and a hit musical.
4. The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which trigger relaxation.
5. The scientific name for the tree that chocolate comes from, The obroma cacao, means “food of the gods.”
6. It takes almost a full year for a cocoa tree to produce enough pods to make 10 standard-sized Hershey bars.
7. Chocolate has over 600 flavor compounds, while red wine has just 200.
8. The first chocolate bar was invented in 1847 by Joseph Fry
9. The most valuable chocolate bar in the world is a 100-year-old Cadbury’s chocolate bar that was brought along on Captain Robert Scott’s first Discovery Expedition to the Antarctic. It sold for $687 at auction in 2001.
10. M&Ms were invented in 1941 as a way of soldiers being able to enjoy chocolate without it melting.
For all things chocolate, visit the Chocolate Show at Olympia Oct 16-18.